Five Things To Do To Help Your Child Have a Beautiful Smile
October 11, 2021 ABC Children's Dentistry
We know you want your child to have the best of everything, and that includes a beautiful smile. Your child’s dental health impacts every area of life, from physical health to emotional well-being. A child with a healthy, vibrant smile will feel more self-confident, and this is a recipe for a happy, successful childhood! At ABC Dental, we want to work with you to give your child the beautiful smile he or she deserves.
What Can I Do To Help My Child Have a Beautiful Smile?
There are many things that parents can do to help their children have a naturally healthy and beautiful smile. By taking these steps, you can be sure that your child will have strong teeth, healthy gums and vibrant smile for life!
1) Encourage regular brushing and flossing. The day-to-day habit of brushing and flossing after meals is one that you should cultivate early with your child. As soon as your child is able, practice brushing their teeth with a soft toothbrush. At a very early age, vigorous brushing is not encouraged, but children can be taught the habit of brushing morning and evening and rinsing their mouths thoroughly. As the child gets older, allow them to take over more of the responsibility for brushing themselves.
2) Feed your child a healthy diet. While brushing and flossing are essential, a heathy diet plays a key role in overall well-being, including dental health. Encourage your child to forego sugary drinks and snacks in favor of fruits and vegetables, and limit between-meal snacking as much as possible. Add supplements and vitamins to your child’s diet as directed by your doctor.
3) Talk about dental health and why it is important. Explain to your child why brushing, flossing and a good diet are important. Show them pictures of people with healthy and beautiful smiles to help them visualize what good dental health looks like.
4) Set up regular check ups and make them a priority. Visiting the dentist on a regular basis should be a priority for you and your family. Schedule children’s appointments on the same day to make it more convenient for you to take them, and keep them. Regular dental visits become a habit, just like brushing and flossing.
5) Take care of any dental problems right away. If your child needs any special procedures, such as fillings, be sure to take care of these right away. The longer these types of problems wait, the worse they become. What starts as a small dental issue can quickly become a much larger problem if not addressed quickly.
At ABC Dental, our mission is to provide families with friendly and professional pediatric dental care that encourages health, happiness and overall well-being. With the help of ABC Dental, you can ensure that your child’s needs are taken care of properly and give your child the foundation for a lifetime of dental health. Call us today to schedule your child’s appointment.